Fast Face – Neutral tone makeup for days
Watch in fullscreen HD for the best experience
Ok ladies, let me start by saying I am NOT a makeup artist, nor am I claiming to be a beauty expert – far from it!
But I love makeup and love the way it can make me feel especially on days where I might be needing a bit of a pick me up.
A couple of years ago while still living in Tokyo I decided that my tired/lazy ass beauty routine, and the contents of my makeup bag needed a serious update.
The problem I experienced living in Japan was that practically every major makeup store or beauty counter did not cater for brown skin gals like me.
So I had to get creative and start shopping online for products meaning I couldn’t swatch and try things on to make sure the products suited my skin tone.
I began scouring youtube in search of Australasian beauty vloggers who looked more like me and had brown/olive skin and honestly it was like looking for a needle in a haystack!
I could not believe that in a world as culturally and ethnically diverse as the one we live in today there were not more vloggers and cosmetic companies capitalising on the fact that us brown girls make up a fair chunk of the market as global consumers.
WAKE THE F UP Kiwi/Oz Beauty and PR companies, it’s time you start showing us caramel/choc swirl melanin queens a bit more love please!
With that in mind I have decided to put aside my silly insecurities and attempt to do a makeup tutorial of my own. I did this video in one sitting and decided not to keep doing it over and over as I knew I would start to get increasingly critical of myself and just chicken out of doing this vlog entirely! Also, I take my hat off to all the incredibly talented beauty vloggers out there who make it look so effortlessly easy. FYI, I discovered that it ain’t that easy folks. Being a beauty vlogger, willingly putting your face on full close up and blasting it into the social media stratosphere is pretty incredibly brave if you ask me.
I am so impressed and kind of in awe of the way some of my favourite vloggers manage to be so engaging, upbeat and inspiring whilst sitting at a dressing table under bright lights talking to nothing but a DSLR camera. Well done and high five sistahs!
So go easy on me folks, I am very aware that I am not a vlogging superstar but I did my best with what I had and hope you find some of what I share helpful.
For all of my Polynesian princesses, brown skin bollywood babes, and ethnic QUEENS in general, this one’s for you! I encourage you to celebrate and be proud of the beautiful brown skin you’re in, how lucky are we to be blessed with our all year round tans though?! Just sayin 😉
My usual everyday routine tends to be makeup free, just making sure I wear a good quality SPF sunscreen is as fancy as I get usually. But on the days where I need to go out and look a bit more put together or I know I might have to shoot something, I like to do this simple neutral look.
Because it’s my current go to beauty routine it usually takes me about 10-15 minutes to do and I promise if like me you’re a bit of a novice, after a couple of attempts you will have this so down. Trust and believe my queens, if I can do it, anyone can!
- Urban Decay – quick fix HYDRA-CHARGED COMPLEXION PREP PRIMING SPRAY
- MAC – Oil control lotion
- BOBBI BROWN – Corrector (peach colour)
- SMASHBOX – Camera ready CC cream SPF30 Dark Spot Correcting (in Medium)
- NARS – Radiant Creamy Concealer (in Medium/Dark1 – Biscuit)
- COVER FX – Cream concealer (in Medium)
- CHARLOTTE TILBURY – Airbrush Flawless Finish skin perfecting micro-powder (in 2 Medium)
- MAC – Powder blush (in Modern Mandarin)
- NARS – Dual travel blush/bronzer compact in Blush “Orgasm” & Bronzer “Laguna”
- BOBBI BROWN – Shimmer Brick compact (in Bronze)
- NUDESTIX – Magnetic Matte eye color (in Fig & Chocolate)
- BILLION DOLLAR BROWS – Universal Brow pencil (in 5J 051)
- CLE DE PEAU BEAUTE – Perfect Lash Mascara
- URBAN DECAY – de-slick Makeup Setting Spray
- MAC – Prep and Prime lip primer
- KAREN MURRELL – Natural Lip pencil (in 02 Cordovan Natural)
- MISCHA – hydrating lip balm
BRUSHES & TOOLS
- MAC – concealer brush 287
- BARE MINERALS – smoothing face foundation brush
- BEAUTY BLENDER sponge
- SHU UEMURA – 20H PONY contour brush
- BARE MINERALS – double ended Full tapered Blush & Eye
- SHISEIDO – Eyelash curler